Monday, November 21, 2011

Fear and Dragons and Writing

I realized something, the past couple of weeks, about myself and writing fears. For a long time, I've made clay dragons, and phoenixes, and ornaments, and weird flying creatures for gifts, and my kids, and my own amusement. Last week I opened up an Etsy store, and have already sold three things.  But it was scary to take that leap, and it remains scary. All this time when I've queried, or entered contests, or sent off things to a beta reader, I thought my fears maybe signaled that the writing wasn't good. But I had all the same fears and reactions for posting pictures of my clay creatures on Etsy, and naming a price for them. And part of it is hoping people will like them, but they are weird creatures and I know not everyone will like them. Not everyone likes every writer either. A lot of my anxiety was simply over learning the process, taking pictures, learning what to charge for shipping, figuring out how to mail them safely, how to set up the banking, how to describe them and post it all online.

I still am learning - about clay, about selling creatures, about writing, even about motherhood - and I've been at that job for eighteen years! I want to encourage you though, to just try whatever it is you want to try - writing, or dancing, or creating jewelry, or running a mile, or canning, or playing an instrument, or making a pie. The unknown is always scary, but it gets easier as you go along.





My Etsy store is called Give Them Wings. I picked that name from the old saying "give your children roots and wings". Most of my creations literally have wings, but the phrase appealed to me for a different reason. Wings to me are a symbol of taking off, of trying, of imagination, of wonder, of soaring above those things that drag us down. I want to encourage everyone to give flight to their dreams.

11 comments:

Clarissa Draper said...

When you put yourself and your art on display, it's always scary. It's a bit like baring your soul. But, I hope you have a lot of success with your dragons.

Rusty Webb said...

Those little beasties are amazing. Great stuff. I browsed your store too. My wife will faint when she sees what you've done. Too cool.

Lauri said...

Thanks, Clarissa, and yeah - putting yourself out there on anything is scary.

Rusty, thanks for the compliment! Beasties is a great word!

Alison Miller said...

Love this! And thanks for the encouragement!

Charlotte Rains Dixon said...

Yay for you, Lauri! I love your winged creatures, and I think they would make great companions for writers. Very cool, I'm excited for you.

Tanya Reimer said...

What a beautiful post. And congrats on taking the leap, I betta it'll be worth it they're pretty neat! What an amazing talent. I'm proud of you.

Lynda R Young said...

oh wow, they are gorgeous. You are so creative and courageous. A great combination.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, I like your dragons! Great point about the difficulty just being in putting ourselves out there--in leaving our comfort zone and trying something we haven't done.

Liz Fichera said...

Such beautiful work! Best of luck on your store. I agree with Clarissa: It's always scary when you put a piece of your soul out on display. The first step is always the hardest, I think.

Chris Patterson said...

I found you kind of randomly -- but i have to say your wings creatures are very cool -- keep at it -- you def have something interesting to say with them --

Lauri said...

Thanks for all the very kind comments on the dragons, and facing fears. I really appreciate the support!