Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hello blog

Poor neglected blog. I checked my blog stats on a bored whim, and was surprised to see over 400 hits this month. It made me feel guilty that people are still checking for updates and I haven't been offering them anything new. So much happens and so much doesn't get written until it's hard to start back. My youngest boys ran track this year, and graduated middle school. We all had what was diagnosed as bronchitis and pneumonia but that I'm starting to think was actually whooping cough. It took months to recover, and more months to recover from all that didn't get done while we were sick. My oldest returned from his first year at college. Our garden was trashed during a hailstorm that also managed to flood our basement and tear up our roof and window screens. We spent a lovely week at one of my favorite places in the world, Hunting Island, SC. It's a beautiful island, but it is eroding so it's a bittersweet beauty. We spent a weekend in Atlanta celebrating my father's 80th birthday and saw so many dear old friends. We returned to scorching weather that got worse. The fires in Colorado this summer were perception changing, even though my house wasn't one of the ones threatened. The community came together in amazing and wonderful ways to help one another. We went to a dinner party last night and everyone was still trading fire stories. Everyone is still stressed. Safety is an illusion, and we don't take it quite as much for granted anymore. I taught a writing class for 4th and 5th graders this summer, and loved watching them discover their voices. An art co-op asked me to join, so now I have my clay pieces on display at a local shop.

High school starts tomorrow, and my oldest is leaving for a year long teaching position in China on Sunday. The garden bounced back in a lot of ways, and once again we have more tomatoes in the garden than we know what to do with.




All of these things to write about. I haven't quite processed any of them. And as I told my students this summer, writing helps us process. So thanks for visiting. I'll leave you with a few pictures of Hunting Island as a goodbye to summer.

2 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Where DID summer go?! Sounds like you will hit the ground running. Glad you are back.

Lauri said...

Thanks so much for reading, Susan!